of the Llandudno seafront
the Great Orme
History of Llandudno
was born in Llandudno, North
She was the daughter of
parents with an active interest in the Christian Science and Garden City
movements and the running of hydro-therapeutic establishments. Her interest in
occultism was sparked in 1916 when, as a psychotherapist, she came across the
startling work of Dr. Theodore
Moriarty, who became her first esoteric teacher and inspired her
series of short stories The Secrets of Dr Taverner.
Her interest and involvement in psychoanalysis
attracted her towards the occult by their apparent overlap. She Studied
occultism under Dr. Theodore Moriarty and joined both the Theosophical Society
and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn in 1919, in the Alpha et Omega Lodge
run by the novelist Brodie Innes.
transferred to Stella Matutina Lodge of the Golden Dawn run by Moina MacGregor
Mathers and developed mediumship capabilities in herself whilst continuing the
in this period reflect this:
OF THE MIND THE SOYA BEAN
PSYCHOLOGY OF THE SERVANT PROBLEM
PROBLEM OF PURITY
ESOTERIC PHILOSOPHY OF LOVE AND MARRIAGE
ESOTERIC ORDERS AND THEIR WORK
TRAINING AND WORK OF AN INITIATE
SECRETS OF DR. TAVERNER (Novel)
magical-psychological bias was modified by a powerful vision about the need to
take on board the Christian dynamic, and she joined, somewhat reluctantly, the
Christian Mystic Lodge of the Theosophical Society of which she soon become
President. As a result however of strong disapproval of senior figures in the
Theosophical Society, and the Golden Dawn, in her view, becoming moribund, she
founded the Community of the Inner Light, first at Glastonbury and soon also
with a headquarters in London. In 1927 she married Dr. Thomas Penry Evans.
Most of her
subsequent non-fiction work first saw the light of day in The Inner Light
Magazine and her inner development can be followed fairly straightforwardly
from their titles.
IN THE LIGHT OF OCCULT SCIENCE
THE GATES OF DEATH
OCCULTISM IN DAILY LIFE
MEDITATIONS ON THE COLLECTS
GOAT-FOOT GOD (Novel)
were an attempt to give practical exemplification to the theoretical principles
given in her important textbook THE
outbreak of war she continued in difficult circumstances, (including being
bombed out of her headquarters temporarily), to keep the Fraternity going with
a series of Weekly Letters and after the restructuring of the group in 1942 in
readiness for the post-war epoch by a series of Monthly Letters, paper
rationing having put a stop to magazine and book publication. She also continued
work on the novel MOON MAGIC. Her writings of this time have been collected
and edited by Gareth Knight under the titles of
INTRODUCTION TO RITUAL MAGIC
CIRCUIT OF FORCE
OF HERMETIC PHILOSOPHY (which includes "Esoteric Principles of
Astrology"). Teaching upon the Arthurian Tradition that she initiated at
this time has been incorporated into THE
SECRET TRADITION IN ARTHURIAN LEGEND
by Gareth Knight.
January 1946 Dion Fortune returned from
a seaside resort and town on the North Wales coast between Conwy and Colwyn
Bay, and at the 2001 census had a population of 20,090 including that of
Penrhyn Bay and Penrhynside, which are within the Llandudno Community. The town
is just off the North Wales Coast railway line which was opened as the Chester
and Holyhead Railway in 1848, became part of the London and North Western
Railway in 1859, and part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.
Llandudno was specifically built as a mid-Victorian era holiday destination and
is served by a branch railway line opened in 1858 from Llandudno Junction with
stations at Deganwy and Llandudno.
styles as the Queen of the Welsh Resorts, a title first implied as early as
1864 is now the largest seaside resort in Wales, and lies on a flat land
between the Welsh mainland and the Great Orme peninsula. Llandudno,
historically part of Caernarvonshire, has been in recent years a part of
Aberconwy within Gwynedd and from 1996 has been part of
Llandudno takes its name from the ancient parish of Saint Tudno but also encompasses
several neighbouring townships and districts including Craig-y-Don, Llanrhos,
sweep of sand and shingle extends two miles in a graceful curve between the
headlands of the Great Orme and the Little Orme.
For most of
the distance on Llandudno's
centre of the bay is the North Wales Theatre and next to it The North Wales
Conference Centre. The Llandudno Yacht Club and a roundabout mark the end of
this section of The Parade and beyond are more hotels and guest houses but they
are in the township of Craig-y-Don.
Nant-y-Gamar road, The Parade becomes Colwyn Road with the fields of Bodafon
Hall Farm on the landward side but with the promenade continuing until it ends
in a large paddling pool for children and finally the Craigside residential
development on the lower slopes of the Little Orme.
award winning pier is on the North Shore; it was built in 1878, and is 1,234
feet in length and a Grade II listed building.
towards the town from the end of the pier, on a clear day one can see the mountains
of Snowdonia rising over the town. A curious major extension of the pier in
1884 was in a landwards direction along the side of the Grand Hotel to provide
a new entrance with a pier pavilion theatre at the North Parade end of the
promenade, thus increasing the pier's length to 2,295 feet.
summer, Professor Codman's Punch and Judy show (established in 1860) can be
found on the promenade near the entrance to the Pier.
limestone headland has many attractions for the tourist including the Great
Orme Tramway that takes tourists effortlessly to the summit.
of the Great Orme should be mentioned here because the both start at the end of
the promenade where North Parade becomes for a short distance Happy Valley
Road, which in its turn becomes the Marine Drive.
Valley, a former quarry, was the gift of Lord Mostyn to the town in celebration
of the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. The area was landscaped and
developed as gardens, two miniature golf courses, a putting green, a popular
open air theatre and extensive lawns. The ceremonies connected with the Welsh
National Eisteddfod were held there in 1896 and again in 1963. In June 1969,
The Great Orme Cabin Lift, a modern alternative to the tramway, was opened with
its base station adjacent to the open air theatre. The distance to the summit
is just over one mile and the four-seater cabins travel at six m.p.h. on a
continuous steel cable over two miles long. It is the longest single stage
cabin lift in Britain and the longest span between pylons is over 1,000 feet.
The popularity of the 'Happy Valley Enertainers' open air theatre having
declined, the theatre closed in 1985 and likewise the two miniature golf
courses closed and were converted in 1987 to create a 280 metre artificial ski
slope and toboggan run. The gardens were extensively restored as part of the
resort's millennium celebrations and remain a major attraction.
route round the perimeter of the Great Orme was a footpath constructed in 1858
by Reginald Cust a Trustee of the Mostyn Estate. In 1872 the Great Ormes Head
Marine Drive Co. Ltd. was formed to turn the path into a carriage road.
Following bankruptcy, a second company completed the road in 1878. The
contractors for the scheme were Messrs Hughes, Morris, Davies, a consortium led
by Richard Hughes of Llandudno. The road was bought by Llandudno Urban District
Council in 1897. The four mile drive (it is one way only) starts at the foot
Shore is the quiet beach on the estuary of the River Conwy. It was here at Pen
Morfa that Alice Liddell (of Alice in Wonderland fame) spent the long summer
holidays of her childhood from 1862 to 1871. There are few hotels and a few
quiet residential streets. The West Shore is linked to the North Shore by
Gloddaeth Avenue, a wide dual carriageway.
behind the promenade is Mostyn Street leading to Mostyn Broadway and then
Mostyn Avenue. These are the main shopping streets of Llandudno and
Craig-y-Don. Mostyn Street accommodates the high street shops, the major banks
and building societies, two churches, amusement arcades and the town public
library. The latter is the starting point for the Town Trail a carefully
planned walk to facilitate the viewing of Llandudno in an historical
Every year in
May Bank Holiday weekend, Llandudno has a great three-day Victorian Carnival
a link with Lewis Carroll; because the family of the "real
Wales Theatre, Arena and Conference Centre, built in 1994, extended in 2006 and
renamed "Venue Cymru" is located near the centre of the promenade on
Penrhyn Crescent. It is noted for its productions of Opera, Orchestral
Concerts, Ballet, Musicals, Drama, Circus, Ice Shows and Pantomimes.
unique within the United Kingdom in that its lifeboat station is located
inland, allowing it to launch with equal facility from either the West Shore or
the North Shore as needed. Llandudno's active volunteer crews are called out
more than ever with the rapidly increasing numbers of small pleasure craft
sailing in coastal waters. The Llandudno Lifeboat is normally on display on the
promenade every Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday from May until October.
The town of
Llandudno developed from stone age, bronze age and iron age settlements over
many hundreds of years on the slopes of the limestone headland, known to
seafarers as the Great Orme and to landsmen as the Creuddyn peninsular. The
origins in recorded history are with the Manor of Gogarth conveyed by King
Edward I to Annan, Bishop of Bangor in 1284. The manor comprised three
townships, Y Gogarth in the south-west, Y Cyngreawdr in the north (with the
parish church of St. Tudno) and Yn Wyddfid in the south-east. By 1847 the town
had grown to a thousand persons served by the new church of St. George, built
in 1840, the great majority of the men working in the copper mines with others
employed in fishing and subsistence agriculture.
In 1848, Owen
Williams, an architect and surveyor from Liverpool, presented Lord Mostyn with
plans to develop the marsh lands behind Llandudno Bay as a holiday resort.
These were enthusiastically pursued by Lord Mostyn. The influence of the Mostyn
Estate and its agents over the years was to become paramount in the development
of Llandudno and especially after the appointment of George Felton as surveyor
and architect in 1857. During the years 1857 to 1877 much of central Llandudno
was developed under Felton's supervision. George Felton also undertook
architectural design work including the design and execution of Holy Trinity
Church in Mostyn Street.
For more info on Theosophy
Try these if you are
looking for a
Group or Centre